When I got to a stopping point and headed down to check on her, oh what a mess! I saw some of her blond hair sticking out from under a blanket, and thought she was hiding from me. When I lifted the blanket, I discovered it was just hair. As I looked around there was more hair in front of the TV. Lilly was hiding from me, with her new self done do in the guest room. She really did a number on herself, she pretty much cut herself a mullet.
One real kicker is that we just got her hair trimmed and cut into a cute bob yesterday! The idea must have been fresh on her mind. Ron was already headed home on the train by this point and coincidentally needed a haircut too, so we waited for him and than headed back to the hair place for the second night in a row. The girl who cut her hair said this was by far the worst self-cut she had ever seen. She tried to salvage what she could, but there was not much to do considering how close to the scalp Lilly had cut in a few places. It looks better, but I am very afraid she will be mistaken for a little boy. After the cut was complete we went to Target for a few headbands to wear now, and some clips once it grows out a little.
Hopefully it will be grown out to a good length by the time Kindergarten starts. I must admit there were a few tears shed today (on my part). It has been an interesting parenting situation for Ron and I and I am not quite sure we have it all figured out yet. Lilly went quiet about the whole thing, so we'll see if we can get the rest of story out of her tomorrow. If this were someone elses child (and if family picture weren't in a week), I would definitely be laughing, hopefully I'll find the humor in it soon.
And while the camera was out, Sophie also wanted to have her moment.
One curly haired girl, and one baldy. Mom doesn't know how to style either of them!

11 comments:
Holy cow, that is so funny! Probably since it wasn't my kid. That is some pretty determined cutting. At least it's not permanent.
Oh no!! I have to saw she did a number on her hair. I am so sorry. Esprcially with pidtures coming soon. She is still as cute as ever though. Headbands will for sure help!
I'm sorry you have to go through this, Kat! She did cut quite a bit off. I'm laughing and hopefully you will too soon enough. I'm sure it will grow fast!
Just to add what others have said, She did a great job! I was shocked to see the back and the sides. Annika did a "little" something like that with the front of her hair. It's growing back, but these little short hairs always stick out. When Lilly's grows back at least it will be all one length. You're good parents! I can't wait to see you guys next week. I have a special gift for Miss Lilly.
Wow! She did a great job. I think they all do it, and of course at the most inopportune time.=} At least she has those beautiful big blue eyes.
That is one of the funniest tragedies I have ever heard. I would have had the barber keep the mullet and shave in "I love bluegrass" in the side but my wife would kill me. I think you made the right choice and it will be a fun story to share with future boyfriends.
I would have cied too if I were you. I thought it looked ok at church on sunday. I noticed it was short, but I think the headband did good. I didn't notice that much! But I would have lost it. you're a better mom than me. :) Maybe she's practicing her future profession of stylist. I'd keep the dolls away for a while. or they might end up with the same do.
Wow, that's sad, I'm so sorry Kathryn! I'm sure with some clips and a headband it'll be fine, though. And like you said earlier, at least she didn't pull a Van Gogh!
Have a great time at your reunion.
Hey, it's Ivy! We changed our blog location. Email me at busivy@msn.com so I can send you an invite!
I am so sorry - but I couldn't stop laughing when I read this! I have been through this with all of my kids - it helped that two of them were boys though, so a quick round of the buzzers...and it's fixed! Brooklyn on the other hand had a horible do for a really long time, courtesy of her brother!
It's just hair. I had to tell myself that every day for a really long time. It does grow back. And all the scissors are hidden in my room now - out of the reach of all of my children! I hope she never finds them for a self do! And if she does, I will definatly remember you and might call you crying!
Whoa! She really did give herself a mullet!
This reminds me of the number that Nathan did on Abby when she was 2yrs old. They were both very proud of the fact A. Nathan cut hair just like mommy does B. "Abby sat really still the whole time mommy" and C. Abby and Nathan thought she looked so beautiful
Post a Comment